It’s blustery, sunny and cold this morning.
I’m going to write a quick blog to address a question that I’ve been asked three times in the last week and that is- how to write a blog? The question has no doubt be poised as I’ve been relentlessly plugging the fact that I’ve been accepted as a Huffington Post Blogger! Woohoo for me. If you haven’t seen it take a look here.
So this is what I’d say about how to write a blog
- Firstly don’t over think it. You can waste so much time thinking about exactly how and what to say that you never actually produce anything.
- Don’t read too much ‘advice’ about how to do it. There’s a whole industry that can ‘help’ you in writing a blog. For me it’s a hindrance and a great way of fuelling my already rather sophisticated ability to procrastinate.
- So you want to write a blog- but why do you want to write one? It might be that you have things to say on a particular topic- the campaigner in you is shouting to get out. You may want to raise the profile of your business. You might want/need to write and share your creative side. You might want to make money from blogging. Whatever your reason is, get it firm in your mind before you start
- If you get number three write this will be much easier. Be clear about what you want to say. I’m talking about individual blogs, not the bigger picture. Without this you are facing hours of staring at the wall. I know, I do this a lot.
- Set a time limit for writing the blog. I am very busy, I could spend hours on each blog but I simply don’t have time. For a first draft I’ll set a timer for 15/20 mins. I can only write a short blog in this time once I know what I want to say.
- It’s simple, but how to write a blog is simple- YOU’VE GOT TO WRITE IT. Just write, you can always edit and refine but starting really is the key.
- Have something in mind as a reward. Today mine is going to be a really good cup of coffee. I always stop and have a coffee but only when I deserve it. Did I ever tell you about my relentless drive to ‘do’ things? It’s not good all the time but believe me for writing blogs it helps.
- Sit somewhere nice to write your blog. It might be a nice clutter free desk, or it might be all about a view. You can guess where I stand on this, as I took this picture of neighbours trees this morning.
- Publish it. I know it’s really scary but it’ll be fine. The world won’t end and remember we all have a voice and you might be surprised that people want to hear it. So don’t be scared and push that button. You’ll be glad when you do.
I promised short and there it is. The first draft took 20 mins and another 15 fiddling about- the formal term, I’m told, is editing.
PS always get a nice picture too!